Thursday, 15 October 2009

Parakeets on Blog Action Day

Parrots, and in particular ring-necked parakeets, are now a common bird where I live in South-East England. So common, in fact, that even while I was thinking about painting some for the Blog Action Day I heard, and then saw, one on Bookham Commons. Though parrots have been seen in the UK for over 150 years (as a result of pets being set free - by Jimi Hendrix among others it is said), their populatiom has exploded in recent years because of a succession of mild winters. The North Indian birds are unmistakeable, being an order of magnitude louder, brasher and gaudier than even the showiest of native species.

The recent huge increase in numbers in parakeets here seems to be just one example of rapid, climate related, changes in animal populations across the globe. Most of them are sadder and more worrying than our parakeets, such as the fate of the polar bear. What we have yet to see, but which is potentially even more devastating, is the impact of climate change on people. This will hit the already disadvantaged hardest, and we need to act now to avert this catastrophe.

5 comments:

  1. good for you,i agree climate change is an issue that requires 'we' rather than them, it's our planet, lets keep it healthy and well, at the momemt seems to me it's got a temperature!
    what does your work involve exactly?
    thanks
    sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! In my country we have lots of these birds. Not exactly the same you have there, I guess.

    We call them "Maritaca" , "papagaios" or just parrots. Love their singing... or screaming, should I say? Nice work here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let the FACT that there are more polar bears now than ever before change your 'belief' in global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sketch is neat. Very interesting negative spaces and lively colors. I think, though, that global warming has occurred many times in the history of our planet, and the data has recently been shown to be skewed in order to make it look like mankind has had a hand in it. Mostly mankind has had a hand in creating hysteria about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't personally believe in manmade global warming; I believe it is rather due to sun cycles. I would, however, totally support just about everything the global warming groups support because I believe we are poisoning our planet, causing massive destruction to the ecological systems. So, I guess we're just about on the same page here! ;) Great sketch, beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete