Saturday, 7 November 2009

Drawn from memory, this helmet with crown and goat in Leatherhead Parish Church is placed to one side of the aisle, but its high position and forbidding look seems to be sending some kind of grim warning to those gathered below. The Church is hundreds of years old, perhaps nearly a millenium, and I assume it has some historical meaning. It would fit well in a Dan Brown novel, but I prefer to think of it as a reminder from the local feudal Lord that he owns our bodies if not our souls....even if we may think we live in a town in the 21st century busy with office workers looking for a quick sandwich!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. said...
    Quite a formidable helmet, Tom.
    I can imagine the affect
    it had on the parishoners.
    Well done.

    Also like the imagery in the crown
    when viewed at the highest setting.
    Sorry about those previously deleted
    comments.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete